10+ Card Templates in Illustrator
If you are in the market of greeting cards, trading cards, or whatever kind of card design you need, then you have come to the right corner of the internet. This article is all about different kinds of card templates and how anyone can create them with the right set of tools and knowledge.
In addition, this article also specifically focuses on card templates created and saved as Adobe Illustrator (AI) files. To learn more about all these things and scroll down to the next part of this short guide.
Elements of A Good Card Template
Before you proceed and check out different card templates and designs, it is best to orient yourself first with what makes a compelling card template design. This way, you will intuitively know what kind of template design works for your business or brand.
The list below is a compilation of the top elements that any designer, marketer, or entrepreneur should incorporate or look for in a card template to make it a truly effective card design. Read each element and study how you can use employ them in your own card templates and designs.
1. Purpose of the Card: The first element that any small business owner or graphic artist should consider when creating a good card template is the purpose of the card itself. To illustrate, if you are creating a funeral invitation card, it follows that the card design feature elements that symbolize the loss and grieving process. The more connected your card design is to the card’s purpose, the more likely will the card be compelling and effective in achieving its purpose.
2. Lettering Style: The next essential characteristic that helps transform an ordinary card into something extraordinary is its lettering style. To do this, you need to carefully choose the font styles, font colors, sizes, spacing, and presentation styles for any text used in your card. Choose up to three font styles belonging to the same typeface family. This way, anyone reading the card will not be overwhelmed with all the fancy fonts and, instead, they’ll focus on the content of the card.
3. Color Scheme: After deciding on a specific typography design for your card, you need to pick out a color scheme or palette. A color is an effective tool in creating visual depth. And when it is done right, a simple card design will dramatically transform into something more interesting. Choose complementary colors since they are more pleasing to the eyes. It may also help if you choose colors that your customers are already familiar with. For example, you may create a wedding place card that follows the same color motif as that of the entire wedding.
4. Content: One should not forget the need for accurate and relevant card content. This is an essential element that turns simple card designs into compelling ones. After all, what is the use of a blank ID card if it is just blank and empty of personal data of its bearer, right? Whether you are creating a photo ID card or a birthday greeting card, always make sure that its content or wording is relevant to the card’s purpose.
5. Card Layout: The last element that helps transform an ordinary card design into something more compelling is its layout. Remember that any card is often used as a document or a reading material. As the lead visual artist or business owner who get to call all the shots, it is your duty to make the card as easy to read as possible. And this is made possible by following an organized card layout. Most pre-made printable card templates will already come with a layout style so you may not have to worry about creating your own from scratch.
And that’s it! The top elements that help transform any card template into a compelling and effective card design. Study all these characteristics until you are able to instinctively apply (or identify) them into any card template design.
10+ Card Templates in Illustrator
Shown below are downloadable examples of card templates in Illustrator file format. Make sure to have Adobe Illustrator (or a compatible software tool) installed on your computer before downloading and editing the template file.
Barbershop Identity Card Template
Event Planner DL Card
Available File Formats
Funeral Thank You Card Template
Greeting Card Template
Member Card Example
Spa Appointment Card Template
Sports Trading Card Example
Thank You Card Template
Thanksgiving Card Template in Illustrator
Available File Formats
Watercolor Place Card Sample
Available File Formats
Tips on How to Create Excellent Card Templates in Illustrator
After learning all about what makes a good card template design, it is now time to apply all those design elements along with a few more tips and hacks in crafting your own card templates. To make things easier, we have listed down all these tips below. read on…
1. Practice editing using Adobe Illustrator: As this article is all about creating card templates using Adobe Illustrator, it is best to orient yourself with the graphic design tool. If it has been a few years since you have last used the tool, it may be best for you to take a refresher course. Master Adobe Illustrator and you will find it easier to create and edit any kind of template using the said software tool.
2. Incorporate your business’ branding elements: When it comes to creating standout card designs as part of your business’ marketing campaign, never forget to add your brand’s branding elements. Examples of these are your business letterhead design, the business logo, and other trademarks. When customers see these design elements, they can readily associate the printed card with your business or company.
3. Use new printing methods: Another way to make any card design appear more attractive is the use of new printing methods. For example, you may try out foil printing, embossed or debossed lettering, cut-out printing, laminated printing, and a lot more. All these printing methods can help make any printed card appear more elegant or professional. Invest in these newer printing methods if you want to get the best impressions from your business’ card designs.
4. Add high-quality images or illustrations: The use of high-quality images, illustrations, artwork, and other graphic elements can help make any kind of card design be more enticing. Also, make sure to add images or stock photos that are relevant to the kind of card design you want to create. When done well, it can help add more meaning to the final card design output.
5. Use a matching card envelope: This next design tip applies to those who are creating greeting cards and invitation cards. To help create a more favorable impression of your printed cards, it is best to use matching card envelopes. Make sure that the envelope design is congruent to the card design itself. By doing this, readers or recipients of the card will realize the card maker’s effort and attention to detail.
Study and apply all these design tips when you get the chance to create your own card designs. It does not matter if you do not have the proper background in graphic design. As long as you understand those core principles and elements that help make a compelling card design, the rest of the card-making process will be relatively easy.
Types of Cards
- Business cards
- Comment cards
- Greeting cards
- ID cards
- Invitation cards
- Membership cards
- Place cards
- Trading cards
Card sizes will vary depending on the type of card created. In the short list below, we have shared a different size for each card type:
- Business cards: 3.5 inches by 2 inches
- Comment cards: 8 inches by 11 inches
- Greeting cards: 5 inches by 7 inches
- ID cards: 2 inches by 3.5 inches
- Invitation cards: 5 inches by 7 inches
- Membership cards: 3.5 inches by 2 inches
- Table Place cards: 2.25 inches by 3.5 inches
- Trading cards: 2 inches by 3.5 inches
Why is it called a card template?
A card template is a digital file that contains all the preset layout, text, graphics, and design elements needed to create an electronic version of card design. It is called as such because the file will serve as the base pattern for creating any kind of card design.
What another software program is used to make a card template?
What is the difference between an ID card and a business card?
An ID card is usually a straightforward identification document used by governments, agencies, companies and other entities. A business card, on the other hand, is used both as an identification and marketing document. The latter is often used by entrepreneurs and professionals as a convenient way to present their credentials to their colleagues, existing clients, or potential customers.
We hope that this article has helped you learn how to create your own card design using Adobe Illustrator files more quickly and more efficiently. Do not hesitate to refer back to this article as you practice your own card-making skills. To take a look at other examples of printable design and business templates, do not forget to browse through our website.