- File Formats
From papyrus scrolls in Ancient Egypt to pop-up Hallmark cards in modern-day bookstores, greeting cards have evolved over the last thousands of years. Today, if you want to send messages of gratitude, sympathy, acknowledgment, well-wishes, or other sentiments, there’s a matching card for that.
And in this article, we will help you learn how to create different types of cards using editable greeting card templates. We also offer easy-to-follow design tips that you can apply to any greeting card you are designing.
A well-designed greeting card is one that is aesthetically pleasing and is able to convey your intended sentiment well. It can be difficult to achieve the ideal balance between these two qualities if you lack a proper understanding of the basic design elements that make an effective greeting card.
This is why we have listed down the top five design elements that anyone who wants to make their own personal or business greeting cards should incorporate into their own creations. Dig into each element or characteristic and be surprised at how easy it can be to create good greeting card designs.
1. Card Theme: The most effective greeting cards are those that follow a design theme that is related to the event, occasion, or occurrence that the card was made for. A good overarching theme helps bring together all the graphic and text elements used in a card. For example, to create a good New Year greeting card, make sure that it contains images, font styles, illustrations that relate to the upcoming New Year celebration.
2. Lettering Style: A good greeting card is one that is easy to read and decode its design meaning. This especially applies if you have incorporated text elements into your card design. Choose clean-looking and creative fonts that match your card theme. Also, make sure that any typeface choice is formatted in an organized manner.
3. Paper Type: Paper quality greatly affects people’s impression of a greeting card. Choose thicker paper or cardstock as they are more durable and can handle more advanced printer inks. High-quality cardstock also means that you can incorporate other card printing techniques.
4. Layout Design: To create visually appealing greeting cards, all the text and visual elements in a card design should follow an organized and logical structure. Simple and clean layouts often look best. Take advantage of negative space and allow your design elements to breathe.
5. Appropriate Wording or Message: Another important card design element is its content. If you are making an International Kite’s Day Greeting Card, make sure that the card wording or your message is relevant to the holiday being held.
All of these design elements work best when they are combined together. Study them seriously. Once you do, creating any kind of greeting card is easier.
Featured below are greeting card templates in Apple Pages file format. Feel free to download and use these printable templates for any personal or business projects.
Whoever said that card-making is easy perhaps did not really experience creating their own greeting cards. After all, it can be a labor-intensive process that, without prior card-making knowledge, can easily drain and stress anyone out.
To prevent this, we have prepared a list of questions that you should answer before starting your card-making journey. Answer each question truthfully so that you can accurately assess your level of readiness for the task.
1. What type of greeting card do you need to create? Answer this question first to help you narrow down the card-making process. This is important because once you have determined what type of greeting card to make, you can easily gather design and text components that you can use for your greeting cards.
2. Do you prefer to make handmade cards or template-based cards? Next, you need to ask yourself what kind card-making method are you most comfortable with. You have the option to manually design a greeting card or use a printable greeting card template. Handcrafting cards may take a lot of time but if you want the level of personalization each card gets and the sense of accomplishment that you get after making them, then proceed with this method. Choose the printable template route if you are pressed for time.
3. How are your graphic design and editing skills? If you have chosen to download and use printable greeting card templates, you also need to assess your graphic design and editing skills. This is important because most printable and blank card templates will require some editing skills for you to fully customize them. Knowing how to use a certain graphic design software program will allow you to choose the right greeting card template file format.
4. What are your card-making and printing budgets? Unless you are using your own crafting materials to make a personalized birthday greeting cards for a friend, you need to create a budget plan for your card-making project. This is especially important for those who are making greeting cards for their business or organizations.
5. When do you need to have the printed greeting cards? Another important question to answer is all about your card-making project timeline. If you are pressed for time and/or lack the crafting skills, using printable greeting card templates can help you quickly and easily.
Start any project by asking yourself all the questions above first. When done right, you will know what to expect during the entire card-making journey.
To determine what type of greeting card to buy or create, you need to first familiarize yourself with the different types of greeting cards. We have listed a few greeting card types based on their purpose and when they are used below.
Greeting cards follow various paper sizes. You may choose whatever printing size you prefer when selecting a printable card template. Listed below are the most common paper sizes followed by card makers.
A holiday card is a type of greeting card. The latter term is used to refer to different kinds of greeting cards used for various occasions and events. A holiday card, on the other hand, refers to illustrated cards created and sent out during designated red-letter days celebrated by different countries and states.
You can write anything on a greeting card. Often, a personalized and handwritten note is preferred since it makes the card-giving act more thoughtful and sincere.
Greeting card templates in Apple Pages is a graphic design file pre-formatted using Apple Pages. As a present file, it already comes with all the images, text placeholders, font styles, layout designs, illustrations, and headers needed for making a greeting card. These templates are fully editable using Apple Pages or by using other compatible graphic design software programs.
With the help of all the design tips and free template examples shared above, your card-making toolbox should now be ready. Practice as much as you can so that making any kind of greeting card will be easy for you in the future. Also, do not forget to browse through the rest of our website for more business and design guides and tutorials.