Have you ever wondered why most companies require an applicant to submit an application letter in job adverts? One of the main purpose for writing a letter of application for a job is to let the hiring party get to know an applicant through his skills and professional experiences.
When writing an application letter, the applicant should always follow the standard format:
- Contact information followed by the date
- Use of proper salutation
- Body of the letter where you share your professional working history along with your qualifications
- Complementary closing, such as “Sincerely” or “Best Regards”
Using the Correct Salutation
Since I have mentioned earlier about salutation, how would you know the correct salutation to use? Many applicants understate the importance of using the proper salutation and opt to go with “To Whom It May Concern.” Being to use the correct salutation in your cover letter shows how genuinely interested you are for the position that you took some time and effort to research and know whom to address the letter. You may want to visit our website for interesting information such as the job difference between an application letter and a cover letter, cover letter salutations, and application letters for any position.
Application Letter Writing Tips
Before you start writing, why not consider researching about application letter writing tips online. You should contemplate on the information to include on your job application letter. You must remember that this letter can make or break your chances of getting noticed, getting an interview, and, in the long run, getting hired. So how do your write an effective application letter?
Instead of rehashing what is written in your CV or resume, focus more on highlighting your qualifications to pique the interest of the employer. Take some time to study the job requirements in the employer’s advert to get an idea of the skills, abilities, and experiences they are looking for. This way, it is will be easier for you to tailor your application letter to their requirements. You may want to download the application letter examples and job application letter formats for guidance.
Guidelines for Writing Application Letters
Now that we already know the importance of an application letter when seeking a job position, how would one write a strong application letter?
- The length of your letter should be limited to one page.
- It is always a smart thing to follow the business letter format.
- Go for a classic font like Times New Roman or Arial. Even a sans-serif font will do. Keep the font size between 10 to 12 points.
- Your letter should explain your interest for the job and what makes you the perfect candidate for the position.
- Incorporate keywords relevant to the position to show the employer that you are the best applicant to fit the job.
- Proofread your application letter for any spelling and grammatical errors before sending it to the employer.
Now that we have reached the end of this article, make sure to download job application templates from our collection of free application letter examples, job application letters in PDF, and email application letters.