What Is an Administrative Assistant Cover Letter?
An administrative assistant cover letter is a document that a candidate writes when they wish to apply for the said position. According to an article by Renee Walrath, office assistants do more than just help in carrying out administrative tasks. These professionals make sure that things are well organized. Additionally, their skills are said to surpass that of everyone else in the office.
How to Create an Administrative Assistant Cover Letter
If you’re confident about your key competencies, refer to the simple guidelines below to start writing an impressive cover letter.
1. Decide on a Type of Cover Letter
Before anything else, decide on a type of cover letter to write. This will help you personalize your letter according to your needs. Aside from the traditional job application letter, examples of alternatives include a prospecting letter and a referral letter.
2. List the Important Details to Highlight
After deciding on a type of cover letter that suits you best, make a list of your most essential and unique details. Write as many points as you want, but make sure to choose only those that are relevant to the administrative position.
3. Write a Draft of Your Content
Writing a draft may take time, but this will all be worth it in the long run. Set a few minutes to write an initial version of your application letter while considering the important details that you've just listed. By doing this, you can easily polish your content and minimize the risk of committing errors.
4. Write the Actual Cover Letter
Following the writing of the short draft is the actual cover letter. If you notice errors in your draft, make sure to correct them here. But just like any other document, always remember to go over the whole letter to further ensure that it's impressive enough to get you the job.
What are the different types of cover letters?
- Application letter - This is written and submitted with a resume to apply to a specific job.
- Prospecting letter - Also known as a letter of interest. This is submitted to inquire about possible job vacancies.
- Referral cover letter - A type of cover letter that mentions the name of the person who referred the candidate to the job.
Why are cover letters submitted together with a resume?
In most cases, employers require both a cover letter and resume. This is because one document complements the other in terms of content. Cover letters introduce the employer to the candidate while filling in the gaps of the resume.
What should you not include in your cover letter?
- Falsified information.
- Overly long paragraphs.
- Salary expectations.
- Bad comments about the previous employer.
How much is the salary of administrative assistants?
According to the website, Payscale, Administrative Assistants I earn an average salary of $42,035, while Administrative Assistants II earn around $47,765. Additionally, Administrative Assistants III and IV earn around $58,789 and $65,297, respectively.
What are the most sought-after skills of an administrative assistant?
- Skilled and knowledgeable in the use of electronic devices and computer programs.
- Verbal and written communication skills when conveying information with people inside and outside the company.
- Excellent time management skills to properly plan and allocate different tasks, and to meet objectives within schedule.
- Resourcefulness to get things done despite encountering problems along the way.