63+ Formal Letter Formats
Good communication is essential in almost every endeavor. Using formal letters can make businesses, educational institutions, or private individuals be able to communicate best. Though social media and other online platforms make it easier to keep in touch with different entities, it is still relevant to create formal letters, especially for professional and business transactions.
Formal Letter Format
Official Letter Format
Formal Letter Example
Formal Letter Layout
Formal Letter Format Template
Proper Letter Format
The usage of formal sample letters is not only limited to the above-mentioned processes as it can also be beneficial in court proceedings and other legal processes. To write a formal letter with the proper format, refer to our Formal Letter design templates on this page. Scroll down below to view our templates!
Format for Formal Letter
Formal Letter Templates
Standard Letter Format
Formal Letter Pattern
Formal Resignation Letter Template
Formal Letter of Interest Template
Formal Invitation Letter Sample
Formal Excuse Letter Printable Template
Formal Thank You Letter Template
Formal Letter of Intent Template
Formal Verification of Employment and Letter of Recommendation
Formal Business Letter Formats
Free Sample Business Letter Template
Free Business Proposal Letter Template
Free Business Communication Letter in PDF Format
Sample Formal Letter Formats
Free Sample Formal Thank You Letter Template
Free Sample Formal Resignation Letter Template
Formal Letters vs. Informal Letters
Formal letter formats contain the specific outline or layout for formal letters. When writing a formal letter, you must ensure that you would subscribe to standard rules on how to write it as well as to the type of content or information that may be included in it.
Formal letters are basic letters which are written with a formal purpose or intent. Thus, in contrast, an informal letter is written to communicate a non-formal purpose such as when congratulating a sibling or a best friend for his/her wedding or job promotion.
There are many entities who can make use of formal printable letters and a few of them are as follows:
- Individuals who would like to communicate with businesses
- Employees who would like to address their concerns and/or recommendations to the management
- Companies that are trying to offer a particular product/service to other businesses within a B2B transaction
- Non-profit organizations that are seeking for financial support for a project that they will launch
- Academic institutions and other educational bodies who would like to send formal invitations for conferences.
There are still a lot of ways that formal letter layouts can be used by different individuals and groups. It is best if you will be fully aware of the purpose on why the outline letter has to be made and why a specific person or group needs to receive it so you can create its content and format accordingly.
On the other hand, informal letter in word are sent with the purpose of communicating or imparting an information which is personal. Some of the usages of informal letters are listed below.
- To invite people in informal events like birthday celebrations and private get together
- To share expressions of sorrow through writing
- To inform a person of what an individual feel towards him/her
- To congratulate a person for his/her successes or for another milestone that has been reached and achieved
- To express gratitude and thanksgiving for an act that has been done by a friend or a relative. You can also see more on Formal Resignation Letters.
Free Sample Formal Invitation Letter in DOC Format
Formal Resignation Letter Formats
Free Formal Job Resignation Letter Template
Free Formal Resignation Letter in PDF Format
Free Formal Trainee Resignation Letter Template
Formal Thank You Letter Formats
Free Formal Email Thank You Letter Template
Free Formal Thank You Letter for Donation Template
Formal Complaint Letter Formats
Free Formal Employee Complaint Letter Template
Free Formal Complaint Letter to HR Template
Why We Need Formal Letters
Formal letters are one of the reasons why corporations, universities, and other types of organizations are able to carry out its visions and goals successfully. It is crucial to everyday living and to society as a whole. The proper and appropriate usage of a formal creative letter can provide the following benefits:
- It can ensure that the receiver of the letter can absorb all the information presented in the academic letter in a formal manner.
- It helps businesses to further strengthen their professional relationship with other businesses.
- It allows organizations to be aware that the transaction requires professionalism and business-mindedness when necessary
- It ensures non-profit organizations that the content of the message that they would like to discuss has been stated in a professional level.
- It can formalize evidences and proofs that can be used for litigation or even in personal disputes, issues and misunderstandings.
- It can help individuals to be taken seriously by the businesses and other entities where they will send the formal letters in word.
Formal Cover Letter Formats
Free Sample Formal Cover Letter Template
Free Formal Business Cover Letter Format Template
Formal Application Letter Formats
Free Sample Formal Application Letter Template
Free Formal Job Application Letter for Teacher
Formal Request Letter Formats
Free Formal Personal Meeting Request Letter
Free Formal Transfer Request Letter Layout
Free Formal Donation Request Letter Template
Formal Invitation Letter Formats
Free Formal Party Invitation Letter Template
Formal Apology Letter Formats
Free Sample Formal Apology Letter
Free Formal Business Apology Letter Template
Free Formal Apology Letter in PDF Template
Formal Proposal Letter Formats
Free Sample Internship Proposal Letter Template
Free Formal Sample Business Proposal Letter
Free Formal Budget Proposal Professional Letter
Formal Leave Letter Formats
Free Formal Maternity Writing Official Leave Letter
School Formal Leave Application Letter for Principal
Free Sample Formal College Leave Letter Template
Formal Address Letter Formats
Free Formal Address Letter Template
Free Formal Business Letter Format Template
Free Formal Letter for Change of Address Format
The Basic Format of Formal Letters
Here are some guidelines to help enlighten you regarding the proper format of formal letters:
- Letterhead. On this part, write the date you are sending your letter. After that, leave one space then write one block which contains your information (name and complete address). Then, leave another space and start another block for the information of your professional letter-recipient.
- Formal salutation. Write a formal salutation. You have the option to address the letter recipient with his/her full name or surname. However, the latter is commonly used for business transactions as it is more formal and professional.
- Statement of the letter’s purpose. The first paragraph of your letter should already be able to provide the purpose or reason on why the letter has been written. You need to make the recipient knowledgeable of what the entirety of the letter is all about. It will be best if you will be direct to the point and particular so to avoid confusion and misunderstandings. You can also see more on Student Letters.
- Explanation for the relevance, importance, or reason for such an intent or purpose. Your formal letter must contain supporting statements that can further help elaborate the purpose of the letter. Always ensure that the letter that you will create is understandable and comprehensive.
- Add more information regarding your letter’s purpose. The length of your letter will depend on the content that you will place in it. Do not be afraid to create a long letter if you think that it will help you to fully provide the details that you would like the letter recipient to know. More so, make sure that all the strong points of the letter content are highlighted through the proper breakdown of your paragraphing. You can also see more on School Letters.
- Delineate the specific actions or response which are expected of them. When necessary, it will be of help if you will already state that you are expecting the response of the letter recipient. There may be times when your expectation of getting a letter of response may not be that clear which makes the recipient think that it is fine if he/she will not provide you with one. Again, appropriate call to actions must be given especially if there is a time frame or duration that you would like the recipient to be mindful of when it comes to replying to the letter. You can also see more on Reference Request Letters.
- End your letter by thanking your recipient. It is only proper that you acknowledge the fact that your letter-recipient has dedicated an amount of time in reading your letter. You can do this by simply thanking him/her for his/her time.
- After your concluding statement, close your letter formally. Write a polite and short closing remark. Afterwards, write your name and affix your signature on top of your name. You can also see more on Job Acceptance Letters.
If you want to learn the proper format of formal letters, it would benefit you immensely if you refer to our printable templates on this page. Download our templates now so you would be more knowledgeable of the specific parts of formal letters.
Formal Meeting Letter Formats
Free Formal Business Meeting Letter Template
Free Formal Meeting Invitation Letter Template
Free Formal Meeting Thank You Letter Template
Formal Farewell Letter Formats
Free Sample Formal Farewell Letter Template
Free Formal Farewell Invitation Letter Template
Formal Certification Letter Format
Free Sample Formal Certification Letter Template
Formal Declaration Letter Format
Sample Formal Universtiy Student Declaration Letter
Formal Permission Letter Formats
Free Formal Permission Request Letter Template
Free Formal Permission Letter Template
Free Sample Formal Permission Letter Template
Formal Greeting Letter Formats
Free Formal Holiday Greeting Letter Template
Formal Vacation Letter Formats
Free Formal Vacation Request Letter Template
Free Formal Vacation Leave Letter Template
What We Offer
Here at Template.net, we are offering you with various formal letters which you may find useful for whatever formal purpose you may have. Our design templates are available for free download. More so, these templates can provide you with solutions for your particular needs when it comes to the creation and usage of formal letters. You can easily edit these templates in Word and PDF format so their format and content can fit your current undertaking’s requirements.
Formal Business Letters
The manner in which you communicate in the professional setting plays a great deal in the fruitfulness of your corporate dealings. A business letter is a primary form of communication in the business world. Naturally, it contains valuable information on business-related matters, the specifics of which may vary.
Business letters are crucial in business dealings. The following are the functions of business letters:
- Business letters serve as physical evidences for agreements and other corporate transactions. Since business letters contain details about the specifics of an agreement, it can easily identify the flow of the transaction that existed between parties. The compilation of the business letters used within a particular corporate undertaking can help track the updates and changes applied by the entities present in the transaction.
- Business letters can provide support to a blossoming business relationship. Initial transactions are always the most crucial part of any business undertaking. This phase allows businesses, individuals and establishments to lay their trust to one another. If a business letter is used and maximized, then these entities can feel the professionalism of the other corporate and professional bodies that they would like to transact with. You can also see more on Hr Manager Cover Letters.
- Business letters can be used to provide information about the new products and/or services of the business. This kind of advertising can be of help in business-to-business transactions as it can easily persuade another company to identify the benefits that they can get from your business’ offering.
- Business letters can promote great relationship between employees, employers, vendors, and businesses. Corporate processes is a combination of the efforts of different players and stakeholders. With this, all of them must feel that their contributions are highly regarded and appreciated. Business letters can help these entities to transact with each other easily without being too informal. You can also see more on Employer Letters.
- Business letters can strengthen the bond between existing parties. It is essential for a professional relationship to ensure that the parties involved in the transaction respects the rights and interests of one another. Through the usage of business letters, these entities can make sure that they will transact with each other accordingly. You can also see more on Employee Reference Letters.
Formal Thank-You Letter for Donation
Donation is the voluntary act of supporting financially (or other type of beneficial resources) a certain activity, event, or cause. The usual donors are the following:
- affluent individuals
- companies and corporations seeking to market their business
- charitable institutions
A donation thank-you letter is the letter which the receiver of a donation must write to his/her donors. It is only proper to thank the person who has willfully extended their help to another person even without the assurance of receiving anything in return. You can also see more on Employee Appointment Letters.
Formal Complaint Letter to HR
A formal complaint letter to HR is the letter which employees send to the Human Resource Manager in their company in order to make a complaint about something that is related to their jobs. The following are examples of possible employee complaints which can be addressed to the HR:
- An employee can send a letter to the HR in sample order to make complaints regarding benefits, incentives, and salaries.
- An employee would send an HR complaint letter in service order to ask to be transferred to another cubicle, office, or department due to some inter-organizational conflict which might disrupt his/her productivity.
- An employee would send an HR complaint letter in pdf in order to make a complaint regarding the treatment which he/she may be receiving from superiors which can be considered as unprofessional or improper.
Formal Cover Letters
A cover letter is the document sent by an applicant together with his/her professional profile. Though a resume is most likely to be reviewed by the hiring personnel, it is still helpful to provide a modern cover letter that can showcase additional information about your professional background.
Creative Cover letters can help convince your prospective employer that you are the perfect fit for the position that they would like to offer to a qualified candidate. The following are some things which you need to remember when writing an effective simple cover letter:
- Write the usual heading which includes the recipient’s information and the job applicant’s basic personal and contact details.
- Ensure that you will start the conversation with a formal greeting. If you were able to get the information of the hiring personnel, then it will be best to place them in the document especially his/her full name and position. Properly addressing your sample cover letter recipient can say a lot about your familiarity in business and professional transactions.
- Your basic cover letter can be fully effective if you will state your desire to be considered for your target job position on the first part of the letter. Specify the work post that you would like to get so the employer can assess your qualifications based on the job function of the position that you have stated.
- It is important to remember that you should not copy the content of your sample resume. However, you can elaborate some of your qualifications, competencies and other deliverable so that the employer can be more aware of what you can bring to the table.
- Make sure that you will support your sample list of qualifications with instances where your skills and abilities have been highly-usable. Impress your employer with a preview of your achievements through the usage of your specified qualifications.
- Always be thankful and appreciative for the time that the employer has given to review your application.