Transactions happen on a daily basis and where there’s a transaction, there’s always going to be a buyer and seller. Both parties will want something that contains all of the details regarding whatever transaction transpired between the two.
The best document that can help the two of these people out would happen to be a receipt. This article is going to teach you all that you need to know so that you are able to come up with a receipt as well as what types you can make.
Elements of a Receipt Template
If you’re going to make a receipt, then you should know that there are a couple of basic elements that you must never forget to include. Whether it’s a payment receipt, medical receipt, or even a sales receipt, all of them have the same basic elements that guarantees that they are able to provide all the details regarding a successful transaction that just took place.
Knowing that, here are the basic elements that just about any good receipt template will need:
1. Business Information: The buyer who intends to acquire a receipt will want to know all of the details of the business that he/she has just dealt with. So what you are going to have to do is to provide the basic information of the business that’s responsible for providing the receipt. Make sure that you include information such as the business’s complete name, its address, and its contact details.
2. Price, Services, Products: Whether it be a credit or cash receipt, every receipt will always have details of whatever it is that the buyer has purchased from the seller. So you have to make sure that the receipt contains a complete list of everything that was bought, as well was the individual prices of each item that was purchased.
3. Subtotal, Taxes, and Total: Once you’ve listed down the prices of all the items, then it’s here where you’ll need to put in the subtotal. This would be amount before any tax is included. Once you’ve calculated the fax into the amount, then that’s when you’ll get the total amount that the buyer has to pay.
4. Transaction Record: It’s this part of the receipt that tells exactly how much the buyer has to pay, how much the buyer paid, and the amount of change the buyer received (assuming that there is any). Make sure that you provide accurate figures to ensure that the buyer does not under or overpay.
17+ Receipt Templates in Google Doc
Bill Receipt Template
Invoice Receipt Template
Payment Receipt Template
Rental Receipt Template
Restaurant Receipt Template
Medical Receipt Template
Tax Receipt Template
Free Daycare Receipt Template
Property Rent Receipt Sample
Monthly House Rent Receipt Format
Teacher Appointment Schedule
Work Training Schedule
Panel Schedule Template
Cleaning Schedule Template
Hourly Schedule Template
How to Make a Receipt via Google Doc
Now that you have managed to learn what should be in a receipt, then the next thing that you’re going to do is to learn how to actually make one. This isn’t going to be too hard, especially if you plan on using Google Docs, but you still have to make sure that you make it well. Because if you forget to include even one piece of important information, then you can consider the receipt you make to be unusable.
So knowing that, here are the steps that will allow you to come up with a receipt via Google Docs:
Access Your Gmail Account:
The first thing that you’re going to have to do is to access your Gmail account as it’s the only way you’ll be able to make a receipt in Google Docs. If you don’t already have a Gmail account, then make one right away. Once you’ve managed to do that, then proceed to do the following:
- Open your Gmail and click on the “Drive” option. A new tab will be opened to which you’re going to have to switch over to.
- Once there, click on “New” and choose the “Google Doc” option.
- Decide if you would like to start from a blank document or if you would like to make use of a receipt template.
- Proceed to making the receipt.
As you can tell, the process of making a receipt via Google Doc is fairly easy. In fact, you can do this to make just about any document. Just follow these steps and you should have no problem.
Proceed to Type In the Item Details the Receipt Needs:
Should you decide not to use a template to help you make a receipt, then that means you’ll be starting from scratch on a blank document. This is where you’ll need to put in all of the basic elements that you’ve just learned. Although placing the business information is simple, it’s the matter of providing the item details that may prove to be a bit of a handful. Just make sure that you put in the following:
- Item Description: For every product and/or service that was purchased by the buyer, the receipt will need an accurate description of every single one. That way, both the buyer and the seller will know exactly what was exchanged in the transaction. Be sure to type in their complete descriptions so that there won’t be any concerns regarding what was bought.
- Item Quantity: Not only should the receipt point out what items were bought, but it also needs to provide the amount in which these items were purchased in. The reason for this is because the quantity will affect the total price that the buyer has to pay. So check to see if the quantity written in the receipt is exactly the amount that the buyer wishes to purchase a particular item in.
- Prices: Proceed to provide the individual unit price for every item.
- Subtotal: This would be the total amount of all items before the addition of tax. Remember that the quantity will affect this so check on that before getting the subtotal.
- Taxes: Add this to the subtotal.
- Total Amount: This is the amount that the buyer will have to pay to the seller in exchange for the items purchased.
- Amount Paid: The amount that was given to the buyer to the seller.
- Change Received: If the buyer receives any change, place the amount in the receipt.
- Method of payment: Some receipts will require a description of the method of payment. This can either be in check, cash, credit card, etc.
Tips for Making a Receipt
- Calculate everything properly: The last thing that you want to encounter is a buyer that says he/she paid more than what’s expected or receiving the wrong amount of change. To avoid issues such as those, you’ll need to make sure that all of the figures in the receipt are 100% accurate. Be sure to go over all the items presented in the receipt and see if the prices match up with whatever the buyer wishes to purchase.
- Be sure the receipt has all the information it needs: You want to make sure that the receipt you make contains all the information it needs in regards to the transaction that just took place before handing it over to the buyer. Go through the receipt to see if information such as the business name, item descriptions, and prices are all there.
Types of Receipt Templates
You should know that there are a ton of different receipts and each of them are meant for different types of transaction. It’s best that you know what they are so that you’ll have an idea as to which one you should make. So here are a few examples:
- Payment Receipt
- Donation Receipt
- Hotel Receipt
- Cash Receipt
- Daycare Receipt
- Medical Receipt
- Product Receipt
- Service Receipt
If you would like to learn about the other types of receipts that you can make, then you simply need to go through our site until you are able to get the information that you need.
If you’re going to make a receipt, then you should know that there are standard sizes that you’ll need to follow. Those would be the following:
- 3.5 inch, 850 width and 350 length
- 8.5 by 11 inches (A4 or US)
Take note that the one smaller of the two is made specifically for receipts that contain less information while the other is used for the complete opposite. Just be sure to know which one you’re supposed to use to fit the transaction.
What Format Should I Make My Receipt In?
The best kind of format that you could possibly make a receipt in would be Word as that’s what’s commonly used among many sellers. But you can also decide to go with PDF or any other format should you wish to do so, but it’s highly ill-advised.
Are There Templates to Cover All Types of Receipts
Although there is a staggering amount of receipt templates that you can use, not every transaction will have a specific receipt template. Should that happen, you’re just going to have to start making the receipt from scratch as opposed to using a template.
Making a receipt may not be difficult, but remember that you still have to make sure that it has all the information it needs in regards to details of a transaction. So make the most out of the information presented in this article to help you so that you’ll be able to make a proper receipt.