If you want to wow guests, clients, customers, and bystanders from the get-go, developing a compelling printed label design is worth your time.
Explore this new avenue in advertising products, increasing brand recall, or just beautifying your gifts and organizing your possessions today as we share with you tips and hacks on how to create your own printed labels. We will guide you through the entire process and also provide you with realistic examples of label templates in Publisher file format that you can download and use. So sit back, relax, and start skimming through the page.
We all know what a printed label is. It is that tiny piece of paper or cardstock attached to objects (usually gifts) and contains information on what the object is, whom it is for, and who sent it.
But to achieve that purpose (and more), a printed label needs to have an attention-grabbing design. This is especially important for those who are using labels as a way to subtly promote their brands, services, or products.
Listed below are a few key elements that make up a good label design. Take the time to study each element so that you will learn how to apply them into your own label-making process.
1. Color Choice: Let’s admit it. We often choose things that are in an appealing color or, at least, in a color that we personally like. This behavior applies when making label designs as well. Use this knowledge in color theory in making sure that any printed label you create follows a complementary color scheme. Use a color chart if you do not know what colors work well with each other.
2. Lettering Style: The way a sentence, phrase, or word is rendered on screen or on paper affects a person’s impression of the topic or object they are attached on. For a more compelling label design, choose typefaces, font color, font spacing, and font size that reinforces your label’s purpose.
To illustrate, if you are creating a wedding label, choose elegant script font styles as they echo the formality and ambiance of a wedding. Pro tip: Make sure that your wedding label typography matches the typography design used on your wedding invitations and other wedding cards as well.
3. Visual Hierarchy: Despite their small size, label designs should still exude a sense of balance. This means that by just looking at the label, your relatives, customers, or clients alike are able to readily understand its content and their eyes be directed important sections of the label design. Good visual hierarchy translates to good and intuitive visual flow. Do not overwhelm your reader’s senses when they look at your label design.
4. Method of Attachment: Another important label design element is its mode of attachment to the object or thing it describes or marks. You may choose between stick-on labels, clipped on labels, tied labels, removable labels, etc. A printed label is only effective if it matches the preferred method of attachment that a customer or client finds most convenient.
With all these elements in mind, you will have a better idea on what design elements best works for creating an effective printed label. Read and study them carefully. Do not forget to bookmark this page so that you may refer back to them when you need these pieces of advice the most.
Be motivated to create your own printed labels when you all the label templates in Publisher file format embedded below. All of these printable templates are fully customizable so that you can freely add, remove, or modify any design characteristic. Also, note that these templates are available in other file download formats like PSD, AI, INDD, PAGES, and DOC.
Need more confidence in crafting your own label designs? If yes, then you will like this section of the article as we share more design tips that, when applied correctly, will help you create excellent label designs. And when we say excellent, we mean you will get favorable results for your brand or business. Check them out below!
1. Add your branding design elements: This tip should be at forefront of your mind especially if you are making labels and tags for a business or organization. This small action can help increase brand recall tenfold while making sure that any products, gifts, or items you send out or sell are wrapped or presented beautifully. Don’t forget to customize your brand logo or company letterhead design to match the size, shape, and general theme of your label design.
2. Use a ribbon: Follow this design tip if you are creating a removable label for objects or things. A ribbon helps make the label more creative and fun. So if you want these characteristics associated with your brand, then start browsing through different ribbon designs now.
3. Download a printable label template: We highly recommend using printable label templates when making any kind of label design. After all, this article is all about printable label templates. Use any of the free and premium templates available on our website.
4. Match your labels with other decorative elements: If you are planning a party and you wish to create party favor labels, then make sure that they match (or they at least complements) the theme or purpose of your party. For example, if you are having a floral themed wedding party, then make sure that your label designs also incorporate the same floral patterns used in your wedding.
5. Have fun!: This last tip is not exactly a design tip as it is more of a psychological trick. Designing labels is a creative task but it can easily get boring if you do not enjoy what you are doing. That is why we recommend you to not take things too seriously and have fun instead. You do not have to create the best label design right away or at all. The internet and our website are filled with beautifully designed label templates that you can use. Don’t sweat it, okay?
Put everything that you have learned in this article to good use by starting your own label design project today. To see more examples of graphic design and business templates, check out the rest of our website.
Printed labels come in various shapes, sizes, and types. Compiled below are different types of labels based on their purpose and the object/s they are attached on.
Printed labels are also categorized according to the graphic design software they are created in. On the list below are the different types of labels based on this. Click on these links and you will see a curated list of free and premium graphics templates that anyone can use for making label designs.
Label templates in Publisher are graphic design files created using the Microsoft Publisher. These template files will contain built-in text, image, layout, and formatting elements for making a label design. As a Publisher file, it will have a .PUB file extension name.
Wine labels can be considered as a subtype of bottle labels. The latter refers to any printed label intended to be attached, glued on, or stuck to any kind of bottle or liquid container. A wine label, as its name implies, are printed labels designed exclusively for attachment to wine bottles.
Simple label designs can be created using any word processing tools like Microsoft Word. Other more advanced graphic design software programs like Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, and Apple Pages may also be used to make any kind of label designs.
Discover multiple ways to glam up any label design you wish to create. Whether they are for personal or for business use, do not forget to follow any of the design tips we have shared above. Also, feel free to use any of the free label templates that you saw above. More label templates and designs are available through our website so make sure to check them all out.