If you want a creative and impactful way to present objects, gifts, or things that you own, it is a good idea to attach printed labels to them. These are tiny slips of paper or cardstock that mark, describe, or identify the type, contents, or recipient of the object they are attached to.
And in this article, we provide comprehensive information on how you can create personalized label designs. Multiple label templates in MS Word file formats are also curated below. You may use them as a guide when crafting your own gift or item labels.
Before embarking on this creative design journey, it is only right to orient yourself with the top elements or characteristics that make a good label design. We are sharing this short list so that you will make a better and more informed decision whether you choose to handcraft your own labels, make your own label design templates, or customize a pre-made blank label template.
Read on to find out what these essential design elements are…
1. Label Design Theme: It doesn’t matter whether you are creating a product label or a file folder label, what is important is the design theme that your label design follows. A good design theme helps unite all the text and visual elements used on a design project. In the case of label designs, it gives people an idea of what an object is for and/or what the occasion is. To illustrate, if you are creating wedding address labels, it is best for the address labels to follow the general wedding motif. This way, all the wedding stationeries and wedding event decoration will match and create a more organized event.
2. Typography: The next element to consider in the creation of a label design is its typography design. This most especially applies to labels that will incorporate a text element. For a more compelling printed label, you need to use bold and clear font styles. Also, be mindful of the font size, kerning, color, and overall formatting style. Make sure that the font formatting matches the design theme and/or occasion it was created for.
3. Visual Hierarchy: Another design element that, when done right, helps transform a label design into something more remarkable is its visual hierarchy or layout design. This is an important quality to look for in a label since it is mostly printed on a very small piece of paper. If the text and image elements are cramped in one label design, it will not look good. The template creator should be mindful of how all these elements are arranged so that a reader or recipient will not be confused or overwhelmed with the label design.
4. Printing Material Quality: The kind of paper used for printing a label can greatly affect the printed label’s perceived importance. This is especially true when creating wedding labels, product labels, or gift labels. Therefore, choose your paper or cardstock well. Paper with higher grams per meter (GSM) value will often take in ink better and any images printed using them will turn out well.
5. Color Choice: The color palette chosen for any label is another design element that can make it more attractive. Select colors that are proven to work well together. Check a color chart if you want to find the most optimal color combinations. Also consider the different hues, shades, and tints of color as they can help you create a color palette that is more unique and memorable.
And those are the top design elements that help make a printed label more compelling. Study them frequently so that you will have more options when it comes to creating or choosing a label template design.
As promised, shared below is a curated list of label templates in MS Word file format. For every printable template that you see are multiple file download options. These templates are ready to print and are fully customizable.
Now, wasn’t that an excellent and inspiring list of label templates? We hope that you found one or two label designs that suited your needs. As for now, we are sharing more design tips that can help bolster the effect of any kind of label design that you want to create. Check out all these tips below.
1. Download a pre-made label template: Of course, as this article includes a curated list of excellent label templates, we highly recommend that you use a pre-formatted label template if you are creating a label design soon. A printable template will help you save time, money, and effort. Plus, these ready-made templates are so well-designed they do look like they were individually crafted by a professional graphic designer. (Well, they are really created by professional designers 😀 )
2. Add high-quality illustrations: After downloading the label template of your choice, do not forget to add your images, illustrations, or artwork into the design. Yes, most printable label templates will already include their own images. But they tend to be generic stock photos. Replace them with high-quality and high-resolution photos to make them more professional. Sometimes, due to a label’s small print size, using a small illustration is enough. Just make sure that the illustration is also in high resolution and is scaled accordingly.
3. Integrate business or personal branding elements: This next tip applies to those who are created branded label designs for their business or store. Business branding elements remind customers (or anyone who receives an item bearing your printed label) of your business, organization, or product. And when you make memorable label designs, this interaction will most likely stay with them for a longer period of time. And positive brand recall can help increase sales and recognition for your brand. For those who are creating personal labels for any gifts or items, adding your personal branding design (like a personalized logo, trademark, or monogram) can make the gift-giving act appear to be more sincere and thoughtful.
4. Use a nice ribbon: Another design tip that can work wonders for any printed label that you create is the inclusion of a nice ribbon or cord. This especially applies to those who are making labels that will be tied or bound around another object like a gift label. Choose a ribbon design that will match the kind of label you are creating. For example, if you want to give away your baked goods to your friends and colleagues, it makes sense to create a food gift label that is attached to a ribbon that bears tiny pictures of cookies or cake.
5. Use foil or embossed printing techniques: Lastly, we recommend the use of advanced printing techniques for any kind of label design. Printing techniques that incorporate foil and embossed methods work well when printing label designs since they can highlight any text or image used. And due to the small size of a label, these embossed letters or images can easily be seen and/or read.
With all the tips above, you will surely get your hands full when it comes to making excellently printed labels. You may follow one or two of these tips depending on your preferences. Just remember, enjoy the label-making process. Don’t stress over it too much. After all, too many gift labels are ignored by their recipients.
Labels are created to identify the object they are attached on. This is why they are categorized according to the purpose of that object. We have differentiated these types of labels below.
Labels do not follow a standard printing size. You may download any of the free printable templates shared in this article and change its default size into your preferred paper size.
A label template in Word means that the pre-formatted graphic design file was created using Microsoft Word. This file already contains all the text, image, and formatting elements need to make a label design. It will also be stored with a .DOC or .DOCX file extension name.
If you want to create your own base label template design, you may do so by using Microsoft Word. Aside from that, you can also use other editing software programs like Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Apple Pages, or Microsoft Publisher.
Yes, printed labels and tags are basically the same things. Both things describe and identify the object or thing they are attached to. If there is a difference between them it may only be the method at which they are connected to an object. A label is usually glued or stuck to a surface of an object while a printed tag is tied around the object or thing.
Enrich your crafting life by making more creative label design with the help of any of the free label templates embedded above. If you want to create other kinds of graphic design projects, check out the rest of our website. Also, do not forget to bookmark this page for future reference.