- File Formats
Any end of life ceremony should be done respectfully and in accordance with the deceased person’s religious beliefs. One indispensable tool that can help organize and navigate around this kind of event is a funeral program invitation card.
If you are tasked with planning a funeral service, you would appreciate the myriad funeral invitation card and program templates that have interspersed within this article. Also included here are multiple tips on how to design and make your invitation cards more functional.
A funeral program invitation is a dual purpose card. As its name implies, it is both an invitation card and an event program. It asks its recipient to attend the funeral services of a person (or animal) and it also provides the details of the funeral service that will occur.
To create a fitting invitation card, an event planner needs to first understand the basic elements that make a proper invitation card. We have listed what these elements are below. Read and internalize them so that you will know how to create a program invitation card with an appropriate design.
1. Type of Funeral Service: It is important when creating a funeral program invitation to factor in the kind of atmosphere that the departed’s loved ones want for the funeral service. In some cases, the departed may have even left an advanced directive and have specified what kind of ceremony he or she wants. If, for example, you are planning a Catholic funeral service, it is best to design an invitation card that bears Christian religious elements.
2. Design Layout: The next essential element that is important for any kind of invitation card is its layout. For funeral invitation cards, it is important to choose a simple and often minimalist layout design unless otherwise requested by the departed person. A simple layout design emphasizes the details of the event and gives importance to the life of departed.
3. Lettering Style: To make a program invitation card more readable, your choice of font style matters. Choose typefaces that belong to the same typeface family and limit to using up to three different styles. Stick to simple and elegant font styles since they can easily match the type of event they are created for.
4. Color Scheme: Color is another essential characteristic or element that helps tailor-fit an invitation design to the kind of event it was created. In the case of a funeral program invitation, it is often best to choose a more subdued color scheme. Blacks, whites, and other neutral color combinations often work well for funeral invitation card designs. Don’t forget to check a color chart to find out what kind specific colors will work well for your design in case you do not want to stick with a neutral color scheme.
5. Invitation Wording: Perhaps the most important component of a funeral program invitation card is its content or wording. Due to the nature of this kind of invitation, it should follow a formal and respectful tone. And as program invitation, it should also contain accurate pieces of information that will be important for anyone who wishes to attend the funeral services. Tip: Use any of the free and premium funeral program invitation templates shared in this article as they already include pre-written invitation wordings.
Let you funeral invitation cards embody all these elements and you do not have to worry about your funeral service program invitations after sending them out. Don’t forget to try out all the invitation card templates shared below so that you can choose the best funeral program invitation design for departed loved one.
As we have promised at the start of this article, embedded below are funeral program invitation templates that anyone can download and use. Each formal invitation template is available in multiple file formats to make it easier for you to edit them from the comforts of your own home.
If you need more guidance in designing funeral program invitations, then you will like this next part of our short guide on funeral service invitation cards. It is a step-by-step guide on how to create funeral program invitation cards. Read and follow each step diligently so that you can start making your own funeral program invitation card soon.
1. Determine what kind of funeral service will be held: The first step in creating any kind of invitation card suitable for a funeral is to know what kind of funeral service will be held in the first place. Some families may opt for a Catholic memorial service while others will go for a burial ceremony right away. Consult with the bereaved family first before starting with the invitation-making process.
2. Choose a card layout: Once you have determined what kind of funeral service will be held, it is time to choose an invitation card layout. Since have discussed this at the start of this article, refer to that for tips on how to choose the right layout for the type of funeral program invitation card design you are making
3. Choose a paper size and printing material: Next, decide on what type of paper you want to print your invitation cards on. Choose high-quality paper or cardstock if you want to create formal and elegant invitation cards. Avoid specialty paper that contains glitters or are overly colorful as they may not fit the mood of a funeral service. Also, it is time to choose a paper printing size. Most of the printable templates included here follow a uniform paper size but you may change it to match your own preferences.
4. Write down all the funeral details: The next preparatory step is to write down all the details of the funeral service. And since you are creating a funeral program invitation, you may also need to write down the specific timeframe for each micro-event that will occur on the date of the funeral. Save this information on a Notepad file on your computer.
5. Save all the design elements you want to use on the invitation: Aside from the invitation wording or text components, you also need to gather and save all the visual elements you want to include on your invitation card. This includes all the images, illustrations, artwork, font styles, and layout styles that you may need for the invitation card design.
6. Open your preferred editing software and begin editing: Then, it’s finally time to get started on editing your invitation card template. Open your preferred graphic design software program. You may use Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Microsoft Word, Publisher, or Apple Pages.
7. Or, use ready-made funeral program invitation template: Another option is to download a pre-made funeral program invitation template (examples embedded in this article). By following this card-making method, you do not have to design a funeral invitation card from scratch. You will just need to make minor edits on the pre-made template, save it, and then be ready to print out the template.
8. Save the final invitation template file: Once you are satisfied with the memorial program template, save the file on your computer. Or, you may also directly send it to your printer or to the email address of the print shop owner that you have contacted.
9. Get ready for printing: Finally, it is time to print out your funeral program invitation templates! You may use your home and office printers. Or, you may have them printed at your local print shops.
Funeral and memorial services are often done within a few days from a person’s time of death. That is why you need to hasten the creation, printing, and sending of any funeral program invitation cards. To ensure that they reach the right people on time, you may also create a digital version of these invitation cards so that you can reach more people through social media or through their email addresses.
Most of the free funeral program invitation cards featured in this article follow the 5 inches by 7 inches and 4 inches by 6 inches paper sizes. This is not a standard paper sizing requirement so you may change the template sizes depending on your preferences.
Any kind of invitation card template can be created using Microsoft Word and other graphic design software programs like Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Microsoft Publisher.
Yes, funeral programs and obituary programs are the same. The latter term is commonly used when a funeral announcement is made through a newspaper or magazine.
A funeral program invitation template is a pre-formatted file that is composed of text placeholders, images, headers, illustrations, artworks, font files, layout styles, and other graphic design elements needed for making a funeral program invitation. These templates will retain their designated file extension name depending on the kind of graphic design software program used to make them.
A healthy grieving process begins with an organized and peaceful funeral service or ceremony. Use any of the printable funeral program invitation templates shared in this article to achieve that. We offer you the strength of heart and spirit during this trying time of your life.