Table of Contents
11+ Invitation Templates in Word
Party or event planning involves a lot of tasks. One of which is the creation of invitation cards that match the event or occasion being held. So if you are an event organizer, a parent, entrepreneur, or a friend who wishes to create the best party or event for yourself, your friend, or your organization, you will know that creating well-designed invitation cards is a must-do.
Read the rest of this guide as we cover everything that you will need to know about invitation cards, how to design them, and how to make your event-planning life easier by using printable invitation card templates. Multiple examples of free and premium invitation templates are also shown below.
Elements of A Good Invitation
Starting any kind of graphic design project entails learning the core characteristics that make any design work. In terms of creating a good invitation card, you need to know the essential elements that make an effective invitation card.
We have listed these core design elements below. Be sure to read and internalize them so that you can recreate these elements into your own invitation designs without an issue.
1. Card Theme: The first element to consider when creating (or looking for) an invitation card is the card’s theme. Choose a theme that relates to the purpose and/or nature of the event you are planning. For example, if you are planning your school-age son’s birthday party, it is best to choose a superhero birthday party and use a matching superhero birthday party invitation card. Remember, a theme will help unite all the design elements used in an event. Using the same design in your invitation cards as well as in your event decorations will all help create a more festive and organized event.
2. Card Layout: An essential design element that helps make any graphic design project more useful is intuitive visual flow. This is also sometimes referred to as the layout or visual hierarchy. When creating an invitation card, it is important that your card design exhibits visual. This means that all the text and design elements used on the invitation card has to be arranged in such a way that facilitates easy reading and comprehension. To illustrate, your invitation card’s header should be front and center so that a reader knows what the card is for. Other minor card details should be positioned in optimal locations but totally sidelined.
3. Lettering Style: Good visual flow may not be as effective if an invitation card design only features images or artwork. To aid your card recipient’s understanding of what the card is for, it is often best to include well-designed typography. Choose typefaces that complement each other. And when rendering these font styles, select optimal sizes, kerning, color, and lettering styles. When combined with high-quality images and arranged well, you will have in your hand the beginning of compelling invitation design.
4. Invitation Wording: Another core feature that helps transform ordinary invitations into something more remarkable is its content. To create the best invitation cards, make sure to pair with well-worded content. And since you are creating an invitation, make sure that you are following standard invitation wording based on the type of event you are planning. For instance, if you are planning a formal party for your organization’s gala night, it makes sense to use formal invitation wording on your invitation itself.
5. Printing Material Type: The type of printing material you use for printing your invitation card affect the reception your invitation card receives. Often, invitation cards printed on high-quality cardstock are often regarding as more formal and worth checking out. On the other hand, invitations printed on regular letter paper will have a less impressive reputation. If you are planning a simple sleepover party with your friends, printing on legal paper is totally okay. But if you are going for a more elegant and professional effect for a wedding, it makes sense to print your wedding invitation cards on high-quality paper instead.
11+ Invitation Templates in Word
Take a look at all the invitation card templates in Word file format below. All these templates are fully editable and they are also downloadable in other file formats like Adobe Photoshop (PSD), InDesign (INDD), Microsoft Publisher (PUB), and Illustrator (AI).
18th Birthday Party Invitation Template
Sample Retirement Party Invitation Template
Appreciation Dinner Invitation Template
Beach Party Invitation Template
Business Invitation Template
Cinderella Invitation Template
Circus Invitation Template
Photo Wedding Invitation Template
Picnic Party Invitation Template
Reunion Invitation Template
Slumber Party Invitation Template
Winery Wedding Invitation Card Template
Simple Tips For an Excellent Invitation
By incorporating most of the design elements that we have discussed earlier, you will already have the makings of a good invitation card in your hands. But, often, this is not enough. You may need to create an even more unique invitation card that stands out. This is why we have compiled a few more design tips or card-making hacks that you can follow in order to have a more compelling invitation card. Find out what these tips are below.
1. Incorporate branding design elements: One good way to make any business invitation card more memorable is to add your business or personal branding elements into the card design itself. If, for example, you are creating a company anniversary invitation, recipients of the card can easily connect which company is holding an anniversary party by adding your brand logo or letterhead design into the card itself.
2. Use matching envelopes: Using matching envelopes is often taken for granted when creating invitation cards or other kinds of greeting cards. But if you want your invitation card to get the attention it deserves, then it is best to enclose them in matching envelopes. This is especially important if you are creating wedding invitations or formal invitations. And just like how you can use printable invitation templates, you may also use printable envelope templates to make the entire card and envelope-making process quicker and easier.
3. Add an RSVP card: When creating any kind of invitation card, it is also important to include an RSVP card or response letter. This should be enclosed in your printed envelope so that your card recipient is prompted to send their ayes or nays to your invitation. By adding an RSVP card, you are making it as convenient as possible for any prospective guests to respond and for you to plan out the rest of the event.
4. Make the invitation available online: Another way to make the entire invitation-making process more convenient is to create an online version of your invitation card. This can come in the form of a social media post or event where invited guests have access to the event link. An online invitation may be used to supplement the actual printed invitation cards that you are sending out. Or, it can be used alone to specifically accommodate guests who are more comfortable with online or digital invitations.
5. Use a printable invitation template: This last tip is an obvious one since this article is all about invitation card templates. It bears reiterating due to the convenience that invitation templates offer. When you use any invitation card template, all the design aspects of the template design has been taken cared of. You do not need to craft an invitation design from scratch nor do you need to learn how to use different graphic design tools.
With all the tips shared above, we hope that you now have an idea on how to make your invitation cards even more unique and more memorable. Most of the tips above can also be applied when creating any kind of graphic design project so feel free to take advantage of them when completing these projects.
Types of Invitation Cards
Invitations are classified according to the type of event or occasion they are created for. Listed below are the different types of invitation templates.
- Birthday Invitations
- Baby Invitations
- Lunch Invitations
- Wedding Invitations
- Party Invitations
- Farewell Invitations
- Business Invitations
- Dinner Invitations
- Event Invitations
- Christmas Invitations
Invitation Template Sizes
There is no standard invitation card size. Anyone creating an invitation card may follow whatever printing size they prefer. In this article, most of the invitation templates follow the 5 by 7 inches or 4 by 6 inches printing sizes.
Invitation Template FAQs
What is the difference between an invitation card and an invitation letter?
An invitation card is a printed document that asks another person to attend an event, gathering, or occasion. Invitation cards usually use brief and concise wording and contain specific information regarding the event. An invitation letter, on the other hand, functions as an invitation card but it is worded in a narrative manner. It uses sentences and follows the standard letter format. Also, invitation cards are printed on paper or cardstock that bears a design, illustration, or artwork on one folded side’s cover. An invitation letter does not include such cover designs and, instead, are enclosed in an envelope only.
What is an invitation template in Word?
An invitation template in Word is any digital invitation file made using Microsoft Word and will have a .DOC or .DOCX file extension name. As a template file, it contains all the images, font styles, placeholders, artworks, and layout elements necessary for making an invitation design.
What to write in an invitation?
The basic pieces of information that should be written in an invitation are as follows 1) Name or Type of Event or Occasion, 2) Event Venue, 3) Event Time and Date, 4) Event Dress Code (optional), 5) RSVP Options, 6) Event Organizer’s Contact Information, 7) Event’s Theme or Motif.
Plan the best parties or events using any of the free and premium invitation card templates that we have shared above. Also, do not forget to apply all of the tips we have discussed above into your invitation card-making process. To see more examples of business and graphic design templates that you can use for whatever event or project you are planning, check out the rest of our website.