With the right invitation design sent at the right time, your guests are more likely encouraged to attend an event, party, or gathering. In this article, we will help you do just that as we provide best practice tips on invitation card-making. Also, watch for free downloadable examples of invitation card templates in various file formats.
What do you notice first when you pick out or receive an invitation card? For most people, it’s gonna be its design. That is why if you are tasked with making invitation cards, you need to factor in all the different elements that contribute to the creation of well-designed invitations.
In the list below, we are sharing what these top design elements are. Review each element and so that you can come up with unique ways to incorporate them into your own card-making process.
1. Invitation Wording: One of the most important elements of a good invitation card is its content. This means that you need to write invitation wordings that are appropriate for the event that you are planning and the theme for that event. For example, if you are planning a retirement dinner party, you should carefully choose your invitation wording that will reflect the mood and tone of a workplace farewell event.
2. Typography: Do not forget that the font styles you choose also affect the impression your invitation card creates. Choose fonts in the same typeface family and pay attention to how each font is formatted, shaped, and arranged into the design. Good typography design means that your fonts help make the invitation’s content more readable. It should also facilitate a better and quicker understanding of the invitation’s content. Do away with fancy and colorful fonts unless you are creating a kiddie party invitation card.
3. Card Theme: Another essential design element is the need for an appropriate card theme or motif. A good motif will help tie up all the visual, text, and even decorative elements used on the invitation itself and on the party venue or premises. To illustrate, if you are planning a kid’s birthday party featuring a well-known cartoon character, it is best to incorporate this cartoon character into all of the party stationery and venue decor. A good example is the Frozen invitation card template.
4. Visual Hierarchy: How a card design is perceived can be greatly influenced by its layout or the arrangement of all the text and visual elements used. In the case of an invitation card, you should choose a card layout that allows you to highlight certain elements while still strategically arranging all the other minor design components. For example, if you are making a Catholic funeral invitation, you may need to make a photo of the deceased person as the focal point of the card cover design. This way, recipients of the card will readily know what the card is all about since the photo and the heading is the first thing that they see.
5. Paper Type: The quality of the paper or printing material used for any kind of invitation card is an essential element in making it more captivating. Choose thicker paper and cardstock to create a more formal and elegant effect for your invitations. Guests tend to associated invitations printed on paper with a higher GSM number as something more extravagant and, therefore, more well-planned.
Refer to all these design elements or qualities each time you need to come up with an original invitation card design. As time passes by, you will grow more accustomed to creating invitation designs that incorporate all these design elements.
Planning an event and/or creating invitation cards by yourself can be stressful. Something that can happen for any creative process. To prevent burnout and creation paralysis, we are sharing a few more design tips. Try out these tips and check if you can successfully pull them off or if they suit the type of invitation cards you are creating.
1. Place it in a well-designed envelope: When creating invitation cards, do not forget to design the envelopes you enclose them in. It is recommended that you use envelopes that sport a similar design or color scheme as that of your invitation. Doing this can make a card recipient anticipate a card’s content. Matching envelope designs can be created using pre-made envelope templates.
2. Get a printable invitation card template: Another option to help simplify your card-making process is through the use of a pre-made invitation card templates. These editable templates help you save time and money compared with making your own invitation cards or with hiring a professional graphic designer.
3. Try out papercutting: Incorporating cutout designs on your invitation cards is a unique way to decorate them. This is a perfect technique if you want your invitation card to look like they were handmade instead of being store-bought. Papercut designs may be incorporated before and/or after printing the actual invitation card.
4. Add 3D embellishments: In addition to cutout designs, you may also add any crafting embellishment to your invitation cards. A few examples that you may add are beads, stickers, brads, gems, and even small buttons. Use a single type alone or incorporate them all at once to give your invitation cards a more three-dimensional effect.
5. Use specialized printer ink: Another way to make more impactful invitation cards is the used of specialized printer ink. This option is often available through the professional print shop so make sure to consult them before finalizing your invitation card design. Special ink will allow you to get a foil, glitter, and embossed/debossed effects on your informal or formal invitation cards.
6. Integrate your branding elements: For those who are creating invitation cards for their business or organization, do not forget to add business branding elements into the design. A simple company logo or letterhead design may also help increase brand recognizability. Plus, when customers see your brand logo on the invitation, they are more likely encouraged to attend the event since the invitation came from a legitimate source.
7. Make RSVP-ing easier: Adding a reply card on your invitation cards may not be necessary for all types of invitation cards. However, if you want to take note of all the confirmed guests, their diets, and other preferences for the event, creating an RSVP card can be a good thing to invest in. This a good planning strategy especially if you are creating wedding invitations.
Now that you have learned all these additional design tips, make sure to take action right away. Download any of the free invitation card templates shared in this article and start crafting your own invitation cards.
There is a matching invitation card type for almost every occasion or event. Check out the list below to see a few examples of the different types of invitation cards.
Most invitation card templates featured in this article follow the 5 inches by 7 inches and 4 inches by 6 inches paper sizes.
It is best to send out any kind of invitation card at least two weeks before the event date. This allows invited guests to send back their reply cards and/or to pencil in the event in their own busy lives.
An invitation template is a preformatted graphic design file used for making a printable invitation card design. It is called an Apple Pages template if it was created using the software program Apple Pages.
Not at all. Informal events or events that have a short lead time do not require an RSVP card. Reply cards are often needed for events or gatherings that are require intensive preparation like formal gala events, wedding events, and other ceremonies.
With the help of all the tips and tricks shared above, you will now have a complete invitation card-making kit. Use all these knowledge in crafting the best invitation card design for whatever party or event you are planning.
And if you need more help in party and event planning or you just want to read and/or download more design and business templates, check out the rest of our website.