How to Make a Chart in Excel
Charts are helpful tools you can use to create and represent quantitative data in a visual manner. There are types of charts that serve different purposes, and it is advantageous to know which ones to use. A table chart is common for recording data in tabular form. Meanwhile, a line chart is best suited for visualizing changes in data over time. There are many chart maker applications available on computers, and a widely used program for it is Excel. Below is a simple and comprehensible guide on how to make a chart in Excel.
Download this Free How to Make a Chart in Excel Article in PDFDownload
- Using a template on Excel: Open Excel and select New. Type in charts on the Search bar and press enter. Select from the available templates, and start on your selected chart by clicking Create.
- Using Mac: Start Excel and select New, then Blank Workbook. Input your data on the cells. Open the Insert menu and select Recommended Charts. Click the Chart Design to edit the appearance of your chart.
How to Make a Chart Using Templates In Excel
Different versions of Excel can use templates, and it is advantageous for you to start with one if you are unfamiliar with navigating the application. Follow the steps below to help you create a chart using templates in Excel.
1. Open Microsoft Excel, and select New.
2. On the search bar, type in charts and hit enter. A variety of templates will appear, and you can browse for the template you’d like to use.
3. Once you’ve found it, click on the template. A new window will appear detailing the chart’s use.
4. Select Create to start working on the chosen template.
Note: If you want a more varied selection, know that there are plenty of available chart templates on the web. In particular, you can browse Template.net for charts in Excel templates.
5. Edit the contents of your chart in two ways. You can double-click on the cell you wish to edit your data.
6. Two, you can click on the cell and edit its contents through the Formula bar.
7. After adding in and editing details for your chart, you can now save your workbook by click File, then Save. Or the shortcut Ctrl + S.
How to Create a Chart In Excel Using Mac
For Mac users, you can also create charts on Microsoft Excel. It seems challenging at first, but the following guide helps. Below is a step-by-step instruction on how you can create a chart in Excel using Mac.
1. Open Microsoft Excel, and start on a Blank Workbook.
2. Afterwards, input the data in the cells. Once done, select the data you wish to include in your chart.
3. Click the Insert tab and select Recommended Charts and choose the chart you want.
4. If you want to make one on your own, you can select a type of chart and style you’d like.
5. Select your chart, and click the Chart Design tab to edit your contents. Add Chart Element to modify the data you input, Quick Layout to select from available designs of the chart gallery.
6. Once you are satisfied with the information and design, you can now save your work. You can do this by going to the File tab and select Save or Save as. Or you can use the shortcut Command (⌘) to save or Command (⌘) + Shift (⇧) + S.