With the onset of professionalism in a business environment, policies on certain business actions and communication forms within a working environment entail the use of formal type of documents. One of which is a request letter which is a tool used to get approval for a certain business activity. A letter requesting a character reference from an individual is one example of this formal document.
Writing a request letter requires the use of a format or an outline that is professional in nature. The following request letter samples presents variations of request letters applicable for different request purposes that you can peruse and download for your utilization.
Sponsorship Request Letter
Request Letter for Team Sponsorship
What is a Request Letter?
A request letter is a document written for the intention of requesting from an entity for particular pieces of information, permission or favor for a certain matter. This letter is a formal letter which needs to be created with politeness. You can look into a variety of request letter templates in PDF format available on this website for your perusal.
What is the Basic Request Letter Format?
For starters, here is the basic request letter format you can follow when you write a request letter like the request for recommendation letter templates:
- Letter Recipient – Information on the recipient of the request letter is written first comprising of the recipient’s name and address. The recipient is addressed by name on the opening salutation or greeting on the letter.
- Subject of the Request – A phrase is indicated before the content indicating what the request is.
- Content of the Letter – This pertains to the explanation relevant to what the request is and why the approval is needed. Content of the letter includes the following:
- In the opening paragraph, you are to provide an introduction of yourself and the nature of the request. Then, you can give sufficient details to help the reader understand your request.
- To close the letter, a closing paragraph must contain the date with which a response from the recipient is needed after reiterating your request.
- Complimentary Close – Write a sincere closing greeting and affix your name and signature at the end of the request letter.
Transfer Request Letters
Request for Location Transfer
Request for Fund Transfer
Leave Request Letters
Request for Annual Leave
Request for Leave of Absence
Cover Letter for Leave Request
Letter for Maternity Leave
Request Letter Samples Template Types
The following are the types of request letter sample templates as provided on this website for you to browse through:
- Sponsorship Request Letters – Usually found together with the sponsorship proposal, this type of request letter sample template provides an overview of the need for sponsorship.
- Transfer Request Letters – Transfers on location for employees are created with the outline presented on this letter template similar to request for fund transfers.
- Leave Request Letters – This is one of the common request letter formats used by various individuals when filing for paid absences such as maternity leave, sick leave, or vacation leave.
- Promotion Request Letters – Promotion of employees are subject of approval by top management after submission of this type of request letter sample template.
- Formal Request Letters – These sample letter templates are basic formal request letter outlines procured by business as seen on the following:
- Meeting Request – This request letter is used to request for a meeting with the executives or with a prospective business client.
- Permission Request – Most request letters comprise of individuals requesting for approval or permission.
- Loan Request Letters – When applying for a loan from lending institutions, the loan application must procure this type of request letter template together with the needed requirement for the loan application.
- Donation Request Letters – Similar to how sponsorship and grant request letters are used, this type of request letter sample template is procured by non profit organizations to ask for donations from companies or government agencies.
- Quotation Request Letters – Buyers ask for product quotations from suppliers with the use of this request letter template.
- Payment Request Letters – This request letter sample template is a tool used by sellers to remind their customers of their due payments.
- Recommendation Request Letters – Information on this type of letter template focuses on a individual’s recommendation of an entity to the recipient of the request letter.
- Budget Request Letters – Budgets of companies for certain events or projects must be requested and approved by the top management requiring the submission of this type of request letter sample template.
Donation Request Letters
Silent Auction Donation Request
Donation Prize Request
Request for Charity Donation
Formal Request Letters
Sample Meeting Request Letter
Formal Holiday Request
Formal Request for Permission
Promotion Request Letters
Request for Employee Promotion
Sample Request for Promotion
Meeting Request Letters
Sample Business Meeting Request
Request for Meeting Appointment
Meeting Request Confirmation Letter
Loan Request Letters
Request for Personal Loan
Small Bank Loan Request
Loan Payoff Request
How to Make a Formal Request Letter?
With the use of the request letter sample on this website as guide, here are the steps on how to make a formal request letter similar to the provided request letter templates:
- Use a semi-block or block format. When it comes to formal letters, it is vital to use a semi-block or block letter format for the request letter.
- Provide your contact information and the recipient’s details as header. Together with the letter date, provide your name and the recipient’s name and address as the letterhead of the request letter.
- Write the subject of the request letter. To give the reader the gist of the letter, write a phrase as reference to the recipient when he open the request letter.
- Give a proper opening salutation. It is vital for letters such as the request letter and the sample appointment request letter to give a formal and a personal but polite opening salutation.
- Explain in concise statements the request. On body of the request letter, introduce yourself and the request along with elaborations relevant to the request. Express your thanks and your hope for a positive response at the end of the request letter.
- Close the letter with sincerity. Use a complimentary close that is sincere and polite together with your name and signature as the maker of the request letter.
Quotation Request Letter
Request for Price Quotation
Payment Request Letters
Sample Request for Payment
Advance Payment Request
Request for Payment Increase
Recommendation Request Letters
Request Letter for College Recommendation
Request for Recommendation for College Admission
Permission Request Letters
Sample Permission Request Letter
Permission Request Letter to Principal
Sample Letter for Copyright Permission
Budget Request Letters
Request for Budget Approval
Budget Modification Request Letter
Request for Additional Budget
Vacation Request Letters
Request for Annual Vacation
Request for Vacation Leave
Request Letter for Emergency Vacation
Grant Request Letter
Request for Grant Extension
General Tips for Writing Request Letters
Here are the tips you must take into account when you write request letters with reference samples on this website like the Donation Request Letter Templates:
- Keep the request letter short and on point. It is better to make the request letter short containing direct and straightforward sentences for the recipient to better understand your point. This is evident even on free request letter templates available in this site.
- Make sure there are no errors upon submission. Give effort to proofread your request letter to correct typographical and grammatical mistakes before submission of the letter.
- Maintain professionalism and basic courtesy. Keep a professional and polite tone from the start to end of the request letter.
- Provide an enclosure when documents are required. In cases where there is a need for supporting documents, indicate an enclosure section at the bottom of the letter with a list of the files submitted with the request letter.
Request letters are essential forms of communication between stakeholders of an organization. This letter must be properly written in order to send the content of the request.