What Is a School Gantt Chart?
Generally, Gantt charts are diagrams that illustrate activities over a given time frame. Businesses use these for project management. A school Gantt chart is similar, the only difference with this is that it’s intended for use in schools to manage the activities.
How to Make a School Gantt Chart
According to the website, MindTools, they consider scheduling as an art. Well, creating a Gantt chart will surely stimulate your artistic spirit. Laid out below are tips to help you balance the creativity and usability of your school Gantt chart.
1. Meet with the School Staff and Officials
Since you’re not making this Gantt chart for yourself, you need to get others involved in the process. These include teaching and non-teaching staff and everyone working in the school. This way, everyone will have an idea of the timetable of events set for the students and employees.
2. Prepare a List of Topics, Activities, and Events
Schools hold various activities and events throughout a semester or year. Before you start plotting the data on your Gantt chart, make sure to prepare a list of these activities. Include in this list the topics to discuss, events to celebrate, and exams to conduct.
3. Choose a User-Friendly Software to Make the Gantt Chart
You have a lot of options to choose from to make your school Gantt chart. When choosing a software application, go for something user-friendly to make the process easier for you. You can go with Microsoft Word or Excel, or maybe Apple Pages or Numbers if you’re a Mac user.
4. Plot the Schedules of Each Activity on the Timeline
Now that everything’s set up, start creating your school Gantt chart and plot the schedule of activities. If you need help in plotting the schedule, you can always refer to a calendar. And unlike regular schedules, Gantt charts come with progress bars to symbolize the duration of each activity.
5. Emphasize Critical Events in Your Gantt Chart
Another feature of Gantt charts that distinguish it from schedules is the emphasis on milestones. But in a school Gantt style, you can refer to these as examinations, university projects, or school accreditations. These are highlights that will bring a lot of attention to your institution.
What are the advantages of good scheduling?
- It ensures that there is spare time for handling problems if they arise.
- It helps in allocating a logical amount of time for specific tasks.
- It provides you with a clearer picture of how much you can actually with the allotted time
How different is a Gantt chart from a PERT chart?
While Gantt charts are for determining the status of projects, PERT charts are for identifying critical paths in performing activities and producing goods.
What was the initial purpose of the Gantt chart?
The initial purpose of the Gantt chart, according to Henry Gantt, is to help construction workers determine their status in a project. With the help of the chart, foremen knew right away if they are behind, within, or ahead of their schedule.
What are the advantages of using a Gantt chart?
- The progress of the project is made transparent to everyone involved.
- It makes setting time frames more logical and realistic.
- The data can be communicated easily with other team members.
What are the components of the Gantt chart?
- List of tasks.
- Timeline or dateline.
- Progress bars.
- Obstacles or hindrances.