What Is a School Teacher Cover Letter?
A school teacher cover letter is a document that a teacher applicant submits when applying for a vacant teaching position. This document, along with a resume, serves as formal application documents to help land an employment opportunity.
How to Write a School Teacher Cover Letter
According to the National Center for Education Statistics, an estimated 355,000 new school teachers were hired in 2019. If you wish to work as one, then take advantage of the tips below to help you write an impressive and motivational cover letter.
1. Do Some Research on the School
When you apply for a job, it’s always best to tailor your letter accordingly and not use a generic one. To do this, you will need to do some research on the school that you’re applying for. Know the name of the hiring manager and familiarize yourself with the work environment.
2. Keep Your Resume Close By
This might surprise you as to why you need to keep your teacher resume within reach as you’re writing your cover letter. This is because your letter should not contain the same information as your resume. From time to time, check your letter and compare it with your resume. But even though the details don’t match, they should complement each other.
3. Mention Where You Heard about the Job Vacancy
A good cover letter should have a logical flow of information. The first paragraph should introduce yourself to the reader and how you came to know about the job vacancy. Doing so will give the impression that you actually read job descriptions or ads before submitting application documents.
4. Elaborate on Your Skills and Relevant Work Experiences
The middle section of your letter should talk about the skills that make you an excellent candidate for this position. If you’re an experienced teacher, also talk about relevant work experiences and explain how these managed to help in your career growth.
5. Observe Conciseness throughout Your Cover Letter
When writing your professional teacher cover letter, always remember to keep the content relevant and observe conciseness. This is the reason why researching should be done first, to make sure you don’t include unnecessary details in your application letter.
Why are cover letters important?
Cover letters are important because they highlight a person’s skills and experiences. These details help the employer determine if the person is right for the job.
What should not be included in cover letters?
- Incorrect name of the establishment or recipient.
- Details that are irrelevant to the job.
- False information.
- Negative feedback about previous work experiences.
What are the types of teachers?
- Elementary teachers - These teachers handle students from kindergarten to 6th grade and teach the most basic lessons.
- High school teachers - Aside from teaching more complex topics, these teachers help students decide whether to go to college or proceed to find work.
- Special education teachers - These are teachers who deal with students who have physical, psychological, or learning disabilities.
- English language teachers - Otherwise known as ESL teachers, they teach students how to communicate in English effectively.
How much are teachers paid in an hour?
Based on recent data provided by the website, Indeed, teachers have an average hourly salary of $21.48.
How does one become a professional teacher?
- Gain experience through student teaching.
- Earn a bachelor’s degree in education.
- Comply with the state’s requirements to get a license.
- Gain more experience by applying as a substitute teacher.
- Earn a master’s or doctoral degree in education.