What Is a Project Letter?
A project letter is a document that a person sends to another to explain the former’s project plan and get the latter’s approval. This is common in construction firms when a new project involves asking permission from another entity.
How to Write a Project Letter
According to Kimberlee Leonard, well-written documents not only build business relationships but also help in defining goals and identifying roadblocks. To ensure that your project letter is written well, refer to the list of tips provided below.
1. Get a Better Understanding of the Project
For you to keep your letter relevant, you should fully understand what the project is about. By understanding the project thoroughly, you’ll know what details to emphasize in your letter. This way, chances for rejection of your proposal will be greatly reduced.
2. Know What Resources You Need for the Project
Another advantage of understanding the project is it helps you identify the necessary resources. Whether this letter is used for school or business purposes, you should always inform the reader what you need for project completion.
3. Make a Handwritten Draft of Your Letter
The benefit of writing a sample draft is it organizes your thoughts and puts everything in order. And since you’re writing this requesting letter to ask for the reader’s support, the quality and format should meet the reader’s standards. Writing a draft first applies to all types of written documents, not just letters.
4. Keep the Content Straightforward and Highlight Important Matters
When writing your letter, only tackle what’s important and relevant to the project. Unlike casual and friendly letters that you can just throw in random thoughts, this letter should only explain the project to the reader. Also, don’t hesitate to put emphasis on very important matters in your letter.
5. Choose a Specific Document Processor to Write Your Letter
After finishing your draft and polishing the content, you can start writing the actual letter. Choose what software application to use for writing your letter. You have the option of using either Microsoft Word, Apple Pages, or Google Docs. Go with whichever you’re comfortable with.
Why is written communication important?
- The document can be used as a reference for future purposes.
- The document helps in building lasting relationships.
- Mass distribution of the document is easy and inexpensive.
How can you improve the quality of your written letters?
- Always start with an outline of ideas.
- As much as possible, use simple terms and phrases.
- Read books.
- Don’t be ashamed of asking for help from others.
What are the different types of letters?
- Formal letters - Written documents that follow a specific format and is sent to someone in authority.
- Informal or casual letters - Letters sent to family and friends which don’t follow a particular format.
- Semi-formal letters - A type of letter used when the sender and recipient know each other, minus the cordial relationship.
What are the different project phases?
- Project initiation - This involves the measurement of the project’s value.
- Project planning - This prepares the team for what to do with the project.
- Project implementation - This phase is when the team begins executing the project plan.
- Project monitoring - This ensures that the team is making progress.
- Project closure - This phase signifies the completion of the project.
How can you increase your chances of succeeding in your projects?
- Make sure to communicate everything with everyone involved in the project.
- Set realistic goals and expectations for the team.
- Do not make the project overly complicated and unrealistic.